The Best Provider to Design & Install the Best Technology
Building chiefs and facilities managers have many options when it comes to choosing a fire and life safety vendor. However, to ensure your building is up to code and protected by the most innovative smoke alarms, protocols, and safety systems, make sure you hire a provider that has experience installing, repairing, and maintaining the latest tech in the industry.
Ideally, you want a vendor that’s partnered with Edwards — the premier fire and life safety solutions company. Since 1872, Edwards has developed cutting edge equipment designed to save lives and reduce costs.
For example, the company’s “Wireless Service Application” allows a single technician to use a personal computing device to test, acknowledge and reset a fire alarm system — a process that previously required constant activity and communication between 2 technicians.
By upgrading outdated fire and life safety systems, you can ensure compliance while feeling confident that your building and employees are safeguarded by the latest technology.
Failure to replace or upgrade antiquated systems can result in malfunctions, costing you more in maintenance and repairs while endangering the lives of everyone that works or visits your facilities.
Understanding the newest tech in the fire and life safety industry
Researchers and engineers are constantly pushing the boundaries of technology in the fire and life safety industry. Recognizing that improvements can always be made, Edwards routinely identifies and remedies the most glaring deficiencies in the field.
Here are some of Edwards’ most exciting fire and life safety advancements:
- EST4 Life Safety Solution — With the ability to handle a range of campuses from high-rise buildings to universities, Edwards’ EST4 communications platform offers significant improvements in cyber-security, network configuration, mass notification, and more.
- Signature Optica™ Detectors — Optica Detectors use state-of-the-art sensor technology to first identify the type of hazard — steam, burning food, or multiple types of fires — and then provide the appropriate response. When it comes to smoke alarms, Optica sets the standard by creating a smart sensor that alarms faster and more accurately than ever before.
- Genesis™ LED Notification Devices — Genesis notification devices use the latest LED technology combined with highly audible horns to ensure anyone present in your facilities during an emergency is alerted.
At the bare minimum, your smoke detectors should be upgraded to the latest UL 268 standards. Further, converting standard alarm systems to voice alarm communication systems will provide clear, emergency-specific alerts to your building’s occupants.
Benefits of upgrading to the latest fire and/or life safety systems/protocols
Many building chiefs wonder why upgrades are necessary if existing systems are up to code and working fine. But something doesn’t have to break to become redundant.
If new technology performs the same task better or faster, it’s worth upgrading — especially when it comes to fire and life safety systems.
Some of the benefits you will gain by updating your fire and life safety systems include:
- Reduced cost — Saving money should never be your first goal when making decisions about your building’s fire and life safety systems. However, by upgrading to the latest technology, you will inevitably reduce costs on maintenance and repairs. Further, certain systems, such as Genesis LED Notification devices, are more efficient — LEDs by their nature are less expensive to install and operate.
- Better communication — In many emergency situations, communication is paramount to saving lives. Upgrading from a standard fire alarm system to a voice alarm system allows you to accurately alert occupants of the precise danger — severe weather nearby, a shooter on campus, hazardous gas detection, public emergency directions — any customized message needed.
- Advanced knowledge — Imagine if you had the ability to know in advance when your fire alarm systems are going to give a false alert. Or when a power supply is about to fail. With EST Fire systems integration of IoT technology (Internet of Things), now you can. EST systems can tell you where a fault has occurred. Events can be sent to a building engineer via email or text. Once notified, the building engineer can use their remote computing device to see more details about the event and make an informed decision on the maintenance/repairs of your system.
In addition, upgrading your fire and life safety systems will provide your employees, visitors, and guests with a sense of security that they are protected by the best tech in the industry.
Dangers of using outdated fire and life safety systems
So, you’ve determined that your building’s fire and life safety systems are outdated, but in working order and in compliance with The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards. Resist the urge to “save money” by not upgrading your systems.
While the expected life cycle of a well-maintained fire and life safety system is 20 to 25 years, you should consider upgrades no later than the 20-year mark. As systems age, electronics in fire alarm panels and field devices will begin to degrade.
If you fail to upgrade your existing fire and life safety systems, you risk the following dangers:
- False nuisance alarms
- Lack of communication during emergencies
- Poor response time for sprinklers
- Sensor failures
These simple issues are easily remedied. But if neglected, they can result in loss of property and life.
Choosing a high-end player, with limited distribution
Edwards™ only partners with most qualified Engineered Systems Distributors — they hand pick who they work with. In fact, before a fire and life safety provider can become a strategic partner with Edwards, they must complete the company’s advanced training requirements, and demonstrate a minimum of “high technical competence, quality control, and financial security”.
Performance Systems Integration: Partnered with Edwards to deliver leading edge fire and life safety technology to the Pacific Northwest
Performance Systems Integration (PSI) is devoted to providing schools, property management, hotels, hospitals, and other businesses with the most advanced fire and life safety information, technology, and equipment on the market.
Whether you are installing a new system, or upgrading specific, outdated components, you can trust that our NICET-certified technicians will provide you with the highest level of service.
For more information, or to schedule a free life safety and code compliance analysis in the Pacific Northwest, call our team today at 503.641.2222 or contact us online.